Principal Game Designer
As a game designer, you will drive the development of systems and features which support our game’s pillars, consistently advocating for both our players and the play experience. You’ll work with all disciplines to gather information, feedback and priorities, create documentation for a variety of audiences, and champion your areas of responsibility.
As a principal, you will have a high level of autonomy. Your expertise will be invaluable in ensuring that features and systems are considered, targeted and fresh, in avoiding potential pitfalls in development, and in inspiring the rest of the team.
You will not be expected to take on management responsibilities, but you’ll still be a (more casual!) mentor for other designers, giving them the benefit of your insight and experiences. You will collaborate with the rest of the design team to ensure that all features work together as a whole, using your experience to help the team find the right solutions to design challenges.
The design team is focused on the delivery of compelling player experiences through ideation, implementation, and iteration. We value honest and thoughtful communication, clear and accurate documentation, and a willingness to experiment together.
The team is passionate about finding creative solutions to design challenges and is responsible for filtering the game vision into individual features, levels, combat, quests and encounters.
Collaborating closely with all other disciplines, the design team supports features throughout the full development lifecycle to ensure delivered experiences are of exceptional quality, meeting the needs and exceeding the expectations of our players.
- Work with project leadership to deliver best-in-class systems and features in support of the game’s vision.
- Prototype game features on paper and in-game to find the fun during early development.
- Create and maintain documentation for new and existing systems and features.
- Seek out and embrace feedback and direction.
- Drive development of the tools and systems necessary to deliver game features to the highest possible quality.
- Regularly seek feedback from the wider team to aid you in honing the player experience.
- Evangelise the quality targets for game features to the wider team.
- Conduct research across all streams of media to better deliver against the goals and vision of the player experience for our project.
- 8+ years of experience in professional game design.
- Experience working on at least one RPG title, or a passion for playing RPGs and an understanding of the mechanics behind them.
- Knowledge of many types of RPG games (MMO, action RPGs, strategy RPGs, adventure RPGs) and a love of the systems underpinning this genre.
- Expertise in one or several fields of game design.
- Outstanding communication and documentation skills.
- An analytical mindset, capable of deconstructing market-leading features and understanding what makes them stand out.
- Experience delivering high-quality features and content with a cross-disciplinary team.
- Compassion and thoughtfulness when mentoring more junior members of the team, and in general!
Sharkmob London is a brand-new AAA studio in the heart of London, with aspirations to build one of the largest and most creatively ambitious development teams in the world. Just like the original Sharkmob studio in Malmö, Sharkmob London was founded by a team of industry veterans. As a part of Tencent Games we have the experience, backing, and ambition to build the games of the future!
Remuneration and benefits
- Competitive salaries based on up-to-date data from external benchmarking providers & reviewed annually.
- 30 days annual leave, in addition to all UK Bank Holidays.
- Hybrid work-from-home policy.
- Discretionary annual performance-based bonus.
- Private pension (10% total, up to 5% individual contribution matched by Sharkmob).
- BUPA private Healthcare, Cigna dental cover, life insurance scheme and income protection policy.
- £425 yearly preventative healthcare allowance.
- Core studio hours 10:00-16:00 with 1 'wellness hour' to be used per week.
- Daily breakfasts, snacks & refreshments at the studio.
- VISA sponsorship (individual & dependents).
- Relocation assistance for people outside the UK (1 month accommodation, flights/travel paid for, logistics/removal costs reimbursed).
- Assistance for people relocating within the UK (reimbursement for expenses on travel into London for flat viewings and moving vans/couriers)
- Game Design
- London, UK
Sharkmob makes multiplayer games with a focus on the player and the community. Many of us come from a PC and console background and we always push for AAA production value in our projects. We love to constantly challenge ourselves, pushing technology to the max while applying every ounce of skill and creativity we have.
Principal Game Designer
Loading application form