Can you create a fun, powerful and balanced action combat experience? Do you know how to excite players out of their minds, even after they played the game for hundreds of hours? Do you want to work with a team of talented artists, coders and designers to make an amazing second-to-second experience for the next generation?
Sharkmob is looking for a game designer with focus on combat to join us at our studio in Malmö, Sweden. In this position you will work to design, implement and iterate on combat features in a 3rd person action game. This includes working together with artists, coders and designers on controls, camera, enemy AI and the player character.
We value teamwork, trust, motivation and setting colleagues up for success and always strive to empower our developers with autonomy, support and opportunities for growth.
You will be part of a growing studio making AAA games with a highly experienced team. Our titles are geared towards a Mature rating and the gameplay is online multiplayer focused. We value our staff and wants everyone to thrive at the workplace, and we offer benefits like 30 days of paid vacation, health benefits, educational sessions and fika! Please read more about our benefits at our career site.
- Driving the development of the games combat related features such as AI, camera, locomotion, weapons and abilities.
- Work together with the team to iterate on features, take initiative for improvements and feedback on all aspects of the game.
- Designing and balancing the second-to-second gameplay to make sure the experience is fun, fair and rewarding.
- Make sure the combat system works well together with other game loops.
You as a candidate
Ideally you have lots of experience with designing and balancing different combat systems for various types of games. You are good at communicating and collaborating with directors, other designers and developers from various disciplines. You like to find creative solutions and don’t mind thinking big and ambitious, while keeping a focus on the production realities. You have a firm grasp of both hard and soft values involved in making the player experience as fun as possible. Quality and a focus for detail comes naturally for you, and you know how to motivate and explain your designs and ideas. Feedback is core to your work, and you are good at both giving, receiving and acting upon it.
- Shipped at least 1 game for PC or console in a similar role.
- Good grasp of what makes games fun and enjoyable.
- Experience with combat design for action games.
- Good written, spoken and visual communication skills.
- Experience with working on game features from idea to design, implementation and balancing.
Bonus points if you have…
- 5+ years of experience as a game designer.
- The ability to think both creatively and logically with a strong attention to detail.
- Worked on 3rd person action games in Unreal Engine.
- Experience working with gameplay based on systemic components.
- Developed games from conception to launch and supported them during their live period.
- Designed combat for games featuring a mix of melee and ranged weapons.